Because of The Feast’s series ‘Unleashed: Breaking Free from the Shackles of Unforgiveness’, I’ve been thinking quite a bit about forgiveness and how heavily it can weigh on us.
Bro. JB Rodriguez shared his story of a forgiving heart while being interviewed by Bro. Bo Sanchez. I did agree with him that when we are hurt, our first instinct may not be to jump at the chance to offer our forgiveness. Sometimes, we just don’t want to forgive someone, period!
It’s the last thing we want to do. Instead, we would rather sit in safety with our dear friends anger and stubbornness.
We face the world with arrogance and empty dreams to fill up our longing for acceptance and love.
If forgiveness is such an integral part of finding inner peace, why does it seem like a burden on our to do list?
We tend to think that if we forgive the people who have hurt us, they’re being let off the hook. Even worse- they might do it again.
By forgiving, we become vulnerable once again, which may feel like an invitation to be hurt once more.
The truth is, whether you choose to forgive someone or not you have no control over whether they hurt you.
We cannot control the actions of others, but we can control the actions we carry out in our daily lives.
An empowered heart that offers forgiveness is able to grieve and liberate itself.
Don’t allow yourself to be anchored by anger and resentment.
Try to remember that we are all doing our best, and offer your compassion. Forgive yourself, for it will allow you to forgive others.
You’ll know when you’ve truly forgiven someone because you’ll feel it in every part of you. You’ll feel the sensation of lightness and relief within you once you are ready to forgive.
When we forgive someone, we free ourselves from the pain and anger their betrayal brought onto us. We let go of the resentment that we harbored within ourselves like a guarded ship yearning to set sail.
Seek the positive in the situation. Take the lessons you’ve learned with you, and remember that each experience is a teacher of it’s own kind.
Avoid negative self-talk.
Make a conscious effort to monitor the way you process information. If you are constantly dwelling on past issues and using negative words to describe yourself, or your goals, you must make a habit of retraining your brain.
Self-talk actually sends messages to your subconscious brain to form habits that coincide with what you are thinking.
If you continue to use the same negative self-talk, your subconscious will keep your habits aligned with the familiarity of past (and possibly bad) habits. On the flip side, using positive self-talk aids in reprogramming your brain to start forming goal-oriented habits.
This was our activity for the Awesome Kids Ministry and we encouraged the children to affirm themselves positively.
Positive affirmations are the personal short statements that help to derive desired outcomes.
Below is a list of positive affirmations that will help you get started. We also encourage you to create your own to be specific to your needs.
• I love myself for who I am
• Fear is only a feeling; it cannot hold me back
• I know that I can master anything
• Today I am willing to fail in order to succeed
• I have the strength to make my dreams come true
• I trust in myself
• I am proud of myself for even daring to try
• Today I put my full trust in my inner guidance
• I grow in strength with every forward step I take
• I release my hesitation and make room for victory
• I can do anything I set my mind to do
• I like myself better each day
• I am capable and strong
• I am a winner
• I am a deserving human being
• I am able to easily handle any problem I face
• I enjoy exercising more each day
• I choose to eat healthy food
• Each day I move closer to my ideal weight
• I deserve a trim, beautiful, fit & healthy body
• Today I love my body fully, deeply and joyfully
• My body has its own wisdom and I trust that wisdom completely
• My body is simply a projection of my beliefs about myself
• I am growing more beautiful and luminous every day
• I choose to see the divine perfection in every cell of my body
• As I love myself, I allow others to love me too
• Flaws are transformed by love and acceptance
• Today I choose to honor my beauty, my strength and my uniqueness
• I love the way I feel when I take good care of myself
• Today my own well-being is my top priority
• I state my feelings with confidence
• I am always treated with consideration and respect
• I believe in and trust myself
• I choose to respond to criticism in a constructive way
• I see criticism as information that empowers me
• I always feel safe and secure on the inside
• I graciously accept compliments from others
• I express my feelings and opinions honestly and openly
• I have a powerful positive mental attitude
• I allow others to make their own choices
• Others may influence my decisions, but the final choice is mine
• I feel powerful and confident
• I know that my potential is unlimited
• My assertiveness enriches my relationships
• I feel comfortable with the decisions I make
• My feelings of self esteem are strong
• My feelings of self worth are strong
• I have high self confidence
• I realize I have the right to change my mind
• I easily achieve my goals
• I have absolute faith in my success
• Success in mine to be enjoyed
• I am successful in all that I do
• I have everything I need to succeed
• I am living my dream
• I am experiencing fantastic success
• Today I open my mind to the endless opportunities surrounding me.
• I boldly act on great opportunities when I see them.
• My intuition leads me to the most lucrative opportunities.
• An opportunity is simply a possibility until I act on it.
• Today I see each moment as a new opportunity to express my greatness.
• I expand my awareness of the hidden potential in each experience.
• Each decision I make creates new opportunities.
• I am filled with light, love and peace
• I treat myself with kindness and respect
• I give myself permission to shine
• I honor the best parts of myself and share them with others
• I am proud of all I have accomplished
• Today I give myself permission to be greater than my fears
• I am my own best friend and cheerleader
• I have many qualities, traits and talents that make me unique
• I am a valuable human being
• I love myself just the way I am
• I love and forgive myself for any past mistakes
• I look in the mirror and I love what I see
• I recognize my many strengths